21 Sept 2013

Attitude Era Podcast got me thinking.

Over the last couple of episodes from @AEPodcast they have pointed something out that has got me thinking.



Now let's not get it twisted, these guys are genius. The whole format has got such a brilliant hook, niche....gimmick? Kevin, Billy and Adam take a step back to the beginnings of some the WWE's best years and tell the stories of the Attitude Era's PPVs and touch on the RAWs and I'm guessing Smackdowns to come. The trio from England and Ireland (maybe N.I, I'm not too sure? Sorry Kevin) are as funny as the idea of a pet coon, whipping a government mule until he's God damned broken in half!
Each episode is seamless with telling us how each PPV unfolded with a nice pace of comedy and, well, almost a play by play commentary.
I personally would like to ask Attitude Era Podcast if they would ever do a minute for minute full commentary, to say, Wrestlemania XV? I would love it and I hope other AEP supporters would love it too.



Anyways, back to it. AE Podcast rehashes all that was brilliant from the late 90's in WWE with a kinda unspoiled eye. By that I mean they haven't let what they know now change they way the tell the story. Well 99% of the time, but even that 1% isn't even more than a couple of seconds long.

If you have never listened to the AEPodcast on iTunes or Soundcloud I urge you to do so and show your support to the guys. They sound like friendly people, which I very nearly had the chance of meeting at a recent show in London. They just always had some other people wanting to talk to them anytime there was a chance, so I hope that tells you something!

If you are a listener then you may be familiar with what I am about to question. Now I am NOT...NOT discrediting or crapping on Kevin & Co. for this at all.
One thing they have pointed out and I have wanted to get off my chest is WWE was at times literally disgusting on many levels and some of the way we applauded some of it at the time should really be questioned.
Again, don't get it twisted I was 110% cheering my way through the AE and I don't say it's now a hypocritical view, but a more grown up view that a few of the things said, done and applauded shouldn't of even happened.

Of course so much of it was amazing, spectacular and even genuinely funny. But it's times when fans in attendance would flash signs of nonsensical "breasts" or any random name followed by 4:20, or even actual signs of just drawings of dicks jizzing. I mean, really? Jizz?!
As an adult I can say (with absolutely no pun intended) that sign wasn't big and wasn't clever.

At first my questioning was trivial and quick but then Erik over at The Wrestling Chronicle got me thinking even harder.
In regards to the PG haters if all that is missing in WWE is sex, hardcore violence, swearing and blood go and watch Breaking Bad or something else. WWE clearly isn't for you, just like Honey Boo Boo isn't for me so I don't watch it.

When we think about WWE it should be about two things. Story telling and wrestling, probably in that order in my opinion. I enjoy wrestling a lot, but I love WWE because of the stories, dramas and the theatrics. I can watch other shows online if was more into wrestling alone but I need my male soap opera!

As proven in recent months the WWE really can be just as successful without the profanity, chair shots to the head and blue humour. Sure it was great when I could watch all of that plus wrestling but now I realise and have been educated just enough to know that none of those things actually do good wrestling any justice.
For all the good Attitude did for WWE and wrestling as whole, after all it's helped get wrestling to the global scale it is now and made for some very memorable TV. But good wrestling and well thought out stories alone can pull in the viewers and create amazing moments that kids and adults, families, can enjoy together.
Nothing wrong with that.









No comments:

Post a Comment